OpenAeroStruct is a lightweight tool that performs aerostructural optimization using OpenMDAO. It couples a vortex-lattice method (VLM) and a 6 degrees of freedom (per node) 3-dimensional spatial beam model to simulate aerodynamic and structural analyses using lifting surfaces. These simulations are wrapped with an optimizer using NASA’s OpenMDAO framework. The analysis and optimization results can be visualized using included tools, producing figures such as this:
Walkthroughs and Examples¶
These first few doc pages go into detail about how to set up and run a problem in OpenAeroStruct. Please review these at a minimum to understand how aerodynamic, structural, and aerostructural problems are constructed.
- Quick Example
- Aerodynamic Optimization Walkthrough
- Structural Optimization Example
- Aerostructural Walkthrough
- Aerostructural with Wingbox Walkthrough
- User-Provided Mesh Example
Once you have reviewed and understand these examples, you can move on to some more advanced examples below.
Other Useful Docs¶
- Specialty Topics
- OpenAeroStruct v1 to v2 Conversion
- How to Contribute to OpenAeroStruct